Membean has three word lists for students. Students will be calibrated on word lists based on their grade level. Students in grades 5-8, or ESL students/classes, will calibrate across the lower and upper middle school lists. Grades 9-12 will be calibrated on the high school list.
Progressing Through the Word Lists
Each word list offers more challenging vocabulary, so we recommend students complete the entire word list before moving to the next. A student who trains through all word lists on Membean would progress as such:
- Lower Middle School List Levels 1,2,3
- Middle - High School List Levels 1,2,3,4,5
- High School List Levels 1,2,3,4,5,6
|Lower Middle School List
- Students in middle school are either assigned to this list or the Middle/High School list based on initial calibration
- ESL students or middle schoolers who need vocabulary help are typically placed on Level 1 of this word list
|Middle - High School List
- Students in middle school are usually assigned this list, unless the student calibrates into the Lower Middle School list. A single middle school class might have students on both this list and the Lower Middle School list
- Since some middle school students have a robust vocabulary, the upper levels of this word list has significant overlap with the High School list. Therefore, it's okay if incoming freshman who used Membean in middle school stay on this list until they have reached level five (for data retention purposes). They will still be learning "high school" words, just like their peers.
|High School List
- Many high schoolers including 12th graders will calibrate at level 1 on this word list.
- The lower levels in this list overlap with the Middle - High School word list.
- High school remedial or ESL students will be placed on the Lower Middle School or Middle - High School List instead of this list
Word Lists and Grade Levels
Levels within word lists do not correlate with grade levels. Please click here for more information. If you think that one of your students was placed on the wrong word list, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will look into the account for you.