We have a number of schools that use Membean with ESL students, although Membean requires some minimum reading proficiency.
Here are some features that help ESL students:
- Simple Language: All word definitions are in complete sentences, and all word pages use simple language to teach a word.
- Audio Enabled: All words are auto-pronounced. Text definitions and context sentences have audio equivalents. Many word roots have short podcasts that employ simple language to teach roots.
- Visually Rich: Since ESL students frequently struggle with reading, Membean employs rich visuals in the form of videos and images to help with the learning process.
- Special Preferences: A teacher can easily allow more time on assessments and training, or a slower pace of new words.
- Easier Word List: Many of our ESL students benefit from being placed on the Lower-Middle word list.