Welcome to Membean! This guide is designed to help you get started on Membean and will cover the basics of enrollment and training.
1. Enrolling Into Your Class
Membean makes it easy to enroll into your class through self-enrollment:
- Find your class code. If you do not know your class code, you can request it from your teacher. If your teacher shares a special URL with you, you'll be able to skip the step of entering the class code.
- Go to membean.com/enroll. This URL will direct you to the student enrollment portal.
Enter your class code and click "Join Your Class."
- If you have used Membean before, even if it was at a different school, you'll want to choose the option for an existing account (Yes). You'll then be asked to log in.
If you've never used Membean before, you'll want to choose the option for a new account (No). You will create your Membean account.
2. Resetting Your Password
If you are creating an account, you can add your email when you fill in your name and password.
After you finish enrolling, you'll be prompted to complete the calibration process. Click Start Calibration.
Calibration takes between 5-10 minutes. You can learn more about the calibration process here.
When you finish calibrating, you will start your first training session. Training sessions are made up of rich word pages and questions on the words you've learned.
Here are some best practices for training:
- Train in short sessions: We recommend between 15-25 minutes. This assures that you won't get burned out from training.
- Train on non-consecutive days: Spread your training throughout the week (example: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday). This is best for long-term retention.
With diligent and consistent training, you can learn hundreds of words per year using Membean!
5. The Word Page
During training, you will be introduced to hundreds of word pages. You do not have to memorize every Memlet on every word page. Pick a couple that you really like, and interact with them before moving on. In the future, if you get the word wrong and return to the word page, look at a Memlet that you didn't study before.
You can learn more about each Memlet by clicking the question mark in the top right-hand corner of each one.
Your teacher may issue you assessments throughout the course of the school year. These assessments will appear as a pop-up on your dashboard.
The great news is that you do not have to study for them! As long as you train diligently and consistently, you will do well on your Membean assessments.
7. Current Cycle Section
Your dashboard is full of a lot of helpful tools. The most important one to track your Membean progress is the Current Cycle section.
Your Current Cycle section will provide you with a graph of your progress. To the right, you can see your teacher's expectations and how close you are to meeting them.
8. What Can My Teacher See?
Joking! But seriously, Membean is as transparent as possible. Your teacher has access to all of your log in, training, and assessment time stamps, so they know when you complete tasks on Membean. They also have access to your activity log and all of your session details, so they know exactly how you are doing on the words that you learn.
Logged in at 11:50pm to finish your homework due by midnight? Your teacher knows that. Spent five minutes restudying the word "sentient" because you were actually tabbed out playing Overwatch? Yep, your teacher knows that, too.
This is why it's a good idea to be conscious of your time spent on Membean.
9. The Membean Honor Code
At Membean, we believe that you deserve our trust. With this power comes responsibility. Membean expects you to be responsible for your own learning and behave honorably with integrity. You can read more about our Honor Code by clicking here.