When a student has finished all of the words on Membean, a few things can be checked to see if more words can be granted to the student. Support can also do this for you. Please email us at email@example.com for assistance.
Students on the Lower Middle or Middle-High Lists
Students on the Lower Middle word list will automatically progress to the Middle-High list. Students on the Middle-High word list will automatically progress to the High School list. You don't need to do anything to move them up.
Check IKT Abuse
Some students who have reached upper levels have achieved this by overuse of IKT ("I Know This") button.
- You can check to see if the student overused the IKT option by viewing the student's dashboard.
- If there is a large number of words in IKT, contact Membean support and we can return the words back into the student's training stream.
- You can also disable the IKT button for the student if you see it being abused throughout their training.
Students on the High School List
Reaching the end of Level 6 in no way indicates that a student has "completed" Membean because not every word a student has seen has been mastered.
- Even those words that are fully mastered will be forgotten if enough time elapses.
- It’s important that the student continues to train on Membean as a form of memory maintenance.
Advanced Students with a Stable Memory
We have seen a handful of students who complete Membean relatively quickly and need to do minimal upkeep to maintain their vocabulary. These whizzes should be very proud of their extensive lexicon!
- Students should train seldomly to maintain their memory of their words. You can also supplement or substitute their training with writing assignments.
- We suggest these students increase their vocabulary even more by reading classical literature and literary magazines.
- We would be more than happy to suggest vocabulary intensive novels at a teacher's request.
- The Atlantic Monthly, The New Yorker, The New York Times, and The Economist are good periodicals to start with.